Thursday, April 16, 2009

More on the Tongue

Before I get into the post here, I do want to say that I am going to answer the questions that were asked about the sheep during the actual shearing. I have a friend who has a great way of sharing it. She told me that she will send the outline to me to post here.

Another area I need to work on with my tongue is how much I talk. When you want to share something with someone isn't it nice to be able to tell the whole thing without being interrupted with questions or worse yet with the story in their life that this reminds them of? I have been told that I am guilty at interrupting people. Why do I interrupt? Unfortunately the only answer I can come up with is that I think what I have to say is more important than what the other person has to say. Not a pretty thing to admit is it? I realized that many people like to talk. They like to interrupt and tell their story, or their thought or get their questions in. Why does it bug me? Sigh... especially since I have that exact problem. Someone famous (I can't remember who) said, God gave us 2 ears and one mouth to show us we need to listen twice as much as we need to talk... or something like that. I was also told that most people who talk too much don't think that they do. We need to ask those around us and listen thoughtfully to their answer. Pay attention when you talk to someone. Do you interrupt them? Since I have been told that I have that problem, I am realizing just how much I do it. I have been working hard at trying to correct that problem. I would appreciate the prayers in that area. I will leave you with some verses on the tongue....


Prov 10:19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Ps 12:3-4 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?

Ps 34:13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

Ps 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Ps 50:19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.

Ps 52:2 Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.

Prov 6:16-19 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Prov 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

Prov 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

James 3:5-8 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.


There are MANY more verses that speak about this subject. Let's encourage one another daily... Heb 3:13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called Today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.


No comments: