Friday, April 24, 2009

Like Sheep to the Shearer...

Many of you asked me about how the sheep do during shearing. Do they struggle, etc. My friend who gave me my first two sheep has shared with me before about this. In fact her daughter and her do a Sheep To Shawl presentation and tell about this. I was going to have her write something up, but she is swamped scheduling shearing for her sons and their crews. She gave me another brief synopsis over the phone and I will try to write it out here.

Once they sit the lamb back on its rump, you can pretty much do anything to it that you need to and it will sit there and let you do it. I have Shetlands which is one of the more primitive breeds. That just means that they have not had their natural instincts bred out of them for production purposes. The Shetlands will struggle a bit more at first than other sheep, but they too will end up just sitting there against the shearer. They don't make any noise. They will even let you bleed them out and they will just sit there silently. This is the only animal that does that. They often have to tie down the alpacas or llamas they shear because they will not sit still or be still.

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed and He was afflicted, Yet He did not open His mouth;
Like a lamb that is led to slaughter, And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, So He did not open His mouth.

Jesus was that perfect lamb. He went to the slaughter without a word for my sins and your sins. I love the pictures that He gave us in nature.


No comments: