Thursday, August 24, 2006

Supporting the Wild West




There is a Wild West show coming to town in September. The children next door have to earn part of their entrance cost. They are like my Grandkids and I love them. I told their Mom if they wanted to come and pick tomatoes that I would pay them. So, they showed up at my door ready to work. I gave the 3 and 5 year old bowls to pick the cherry and grape tomatoes. They were not happy about sharing one bowl. =) Then I gave the older two baskets and bowls to collect theirs in. They did not get to finish as we had a storm come up. I told them to bring in what they had and run home quick. The second picture is what they brought in. Michael picked the beans last night, but they brought in all the tomatoes. The first picture is of a baby luffa gourd. I am not sure I am going to be able to harvest any before frosts hit. We will have to wait and see.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Look at all of those yummy tomatoes! It sounds like the neighbor children had a fun time harrvesting them.
Oh, a frost sounds wonderful right about now!

Kelli

LadySnow said...

Looks like your tomatoes are doing very well! You will have plenty of food this winter...that is for sure! I can only imagine the youngest two fighting over one bowl. ;)

Marci said...

Melanie, did your peppers do any good this year? I have not gotten a single pepper.

LadySnow said...

Actually I didn't get any peppers last year, and I think Ginny got one. This year...that aren't doing great, but I have had about 15 peppers...if that. I know they are very sensitive to weather.

Anonymous said...

Can you e-mail me more information on the Wild West show? I haven't heard anything about it. Thanks!

~Karen
P.S. I love listening to the music on your blog. Oftentimes I leave your blog on just to listen to the music!
:-)

Anonymous said...

The wild west show sounds fun! It's no wonder the children want to earn their way>

Tina Leigh said...

Good night...there is so much Marci!! How will you ever get it all put up!! Great story about the kids. Did they tell you how the show was?

Marci said...

Tina, the show is not until sometime in September. I am sure I will hear "ALL ABOUT IT".

As far as the tomatoes, I cheat. I just cut the stem end off and puree them skin and all. The last batch I did, I added some spices, some peppers, and onions and garlic. I can the puree. Then when I want to make something with it, I just doctor it the rest of the way, or thicken it with tomato powder or whatever. It goes pretty quick doing it that way. The slicers are used for eating or salsa. I have not found a recipe that we like for canned salsa. We love Frog Ranch brand salsa, so we buy it through the co-op. We make lots of fresh salsa though to eat all summer.