Thursday, August 31, 2006

Corn Time Again


Michael went out last night to pick corn. The picture above is what he brought into me. That is most of what was left out there. There are still a few ears to ripen here or there. We had a good corn year. Thank you Lord!!!! This corn is the sweetest most tender corn we have ever tasted. Everyone that has tasted it said the same thing. I want to grow some open pollinated corn next year, but we will also grow some more of this stuff.

There are still lots of tomatoes on the vine out there to ripen. Next year, I think one cherry tomato plant will be plenty. I have given those things away like crazy, we eat them like crazy and still they threaten to take over my kitchen. =)

I had to pick my big pumpkins and my 2 little pie pumpkins. Those little gray bugs are invading the vines and are all over the fruit. We have a couple more green pumpkins out there, but I wonder if they are even going to ripen with the damage those bugs are doing.

We have gotten some rain in the last few days. It had been pretty dry for a bit. As I was walking back up from milking this morning, I noticed where we had bushhogged down the weeds that lots of little weed plants are pushing through the soil. I guess even the weeds were very thirsty.

Well, I need to get ready to start my corn day. I still have tomatoes to do as well. Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow. He is the Lord of the harvest.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

What a blessing...and to those you shared with as well.

BTW, love the shades of Autumn below. It just evokes feelings of coziness! Oh, and my eldest daughter (14) is named Autumn......

Hugs,
Jenn

Moobear said...

I love corn. Perhaps yours is Silver Queen, as it is always so good and sweet. Love your blog and I remember going to milk too when I was a young girl. I was only a drag along as I could dare not sleep in while my cousin got up early to milk and too, I never got no milk to come out! That must be an art of which none I have.

God Bless!

Peggy said...

I just love coming to visit here! I always leave so relaxed and blessed.

Marci said...

Moobear, the corn was a Japanese hybrid called mirai. Someone had given my husband some one year and he loved it so much he wanted to grow it.

I only milk the goats. I have helped with the cows, but never milked one out all by myself.

LadySnow said...

Hope you have a great weekend Marci and you are able to get all your canning done!

Patty said...

Oh I do wish I lived near you so I could help you.
Looks like great corn.

Kristi said...

Hey! You've answered several farming questions and now I get to answer a question for you!! :)

The spider is called a Black and Yellow Argiope. She is a very common and harmless garden spider. Her egg sac is like a brown paper bag consistency and once she has produced two to three of those eggs sacs she will die.

~Kristi

Marci said...

Thanks Kristi for the information. We have many of these. I was wondering how long the egg sac takes to open. Could you bring it in and put it in a jar with holes or something?