Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sunflowers and Baby Turkeys

I planted all sorts of sunflowers. Short ones, tall ones, all different colors. Well, so far they are all TALL. Joshua is either 6' 1" or 6' 2". Here he is in front of them, so you can see how tall they are. None of these have bloomed yet.


Our turkey poults arrived today. The post office called me first thing this morning. They said the mail carrier's AC was broke and he did not want to take the poults in the truck with him. Joshua had not left yet, so he went and picked them up for me. They are in the brooder all snug. They are so much fun. They sing to you. When you put your hand in they come running to you instead of away from you. They really have personality.

6 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

My Goodness those things are tall. Oh I cant wait to see them bloom!!! Please post them! Marci are those the brown looking turkeys? I had a bad year with the turkeys I bought in the spring. I have one left & I am hoping she will be Turks girlfriend. He has just gotten where he hangs around her some. She is already a spoiled brat like him! I hope you have good luck with yours!

Sandra said...

I always enjoy the pictures you post. The little turkeys are just adorable :)

Have a great day,
Sandra

The Bradshaws said...

Having processed a number of Cornish cross chickens a month ago, it's nice to hear of young poultry that's responsive to something in addition to food!

Mary Susan

Unknown said...

wow...what a nice feel! away from all the crowd, there must be such a peace and serenity...

Patty said...

Josh looks all man and no boy left in him ! The turkeys are so cute. We just have not have much success with turkeys. Maybe i will try again in the spring

Marci said...

Pat, he is a man. As far as turkeys the first week or so seems to be the worst. Then they are very hardy, much hardier than the broilers. The first week we give them raw milk, hard boiled eggs and grass as well as their feed. This seems to help them over the hump.