Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pickles And Trip Yesterday

Rachel asked me in the comments on the last post if I had a good bread and butter pickle recipe. My Sister-in-law used to make the best bread and butter pickles I ever tasted. I finally got the recipe from her (through my niece) a couple of years ago. I had tried so many different recipes and they were OK, but I was looking for GREAT!! These are GREAT!!! Now mind you, they have a lot of sugar, but since I don't sit down and eat a whole jar (although its tempting) I go ahead and make them. Bread & Butter Pickles

6 cups Vidalia onion pieces
4 quarts cucumber slices
1/3 cup salt

Mix the cucumbers and onions together in large pot. Sprinkle the salt on and cover with ice. Let sit for 3 hours. Drain well, but do not rinse.

Mix:
5 cups sugar
3 cups red wine vinegar
2 Tblsp. Mustard seeds
1 ½ tsp. turmeric
1 ½ tsp. celery seed

Add this mixture to the cucumbers and onions. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pack into hot pint jars.

Water bath 10 mins.

Enjoy!!!!

Yesterday, my husband dropped me off at my dad's house at 6AM. We left and headed for Kentucky. My Aunt had a stroke back in May and she had been home a week and we wanted to go and visit. She is doing much better than we expected, but she is still very frail and has a ways to go. They said the kind of stroke she had leaves 50% of its victims dead. She was totally paralyzed on her right side, but has regained much use of her arm, hand and leg. She ate by herself using her right hand and she was able to walk with a walker. We are praising the Lord, but continuing to pray for her.

They live near Lexington, KY. There were a lot of HUGE beautiful horse farms all around that area. They live not too far from Kentucky Horse Park. We got there a bit early and she had a therapist there with her, so we were driving around looking at the farms and horses. Here are a couple of pictures from one pasture that had babies and mamas.




Here is some of Lexington's finest. I thought it was very appropriate that they were on horseback!!

Not too far south of Lexington is a little town called Waco. There is a pottery place there called Bybee Pottery. It was established in 1809 by either my Step-Great Grandpa or my Step-Great-Great Grandpa. My Dad wanted me to see it. He had taken my Mom there About 12 years ago. We decided we would go and look around. We made a wrong turn one place and it took us awhile to find it. We finally pulled into the parking lot at 3:39PM. It had closed at 3:30PM. =) Here are some pictures of the building. I guess the whole thing is pretty old.



Here is my Dad looking to see if anyone was in there.

Nobody is there, so off we went. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the recipe. I am still canning peach jam (at least for the next couple of days). I can't wait to make the bread and butter pickles. I'll make it, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then break into a jar and let you know how they turned out. Thanks again and God Bless!

fourkid said...

Hi Marci,
What are hot pint jars?
How do they get hot?
Do they have to be hot?
Blessings,
Patti

Unknown said...

Wow! It looks like it was a beautiful day! I love that area of Kentucky.
:-D