Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Day of Contrasts

This morning it was very overcast. Michael called me from work and said that rain was on the way and I might want to get my outside chores done sooner rather than later. We did get a bit of rain and a whole lot of wind. Then the sky got sunny with white puffy clouds. I just went out the backdoor to empty my compost bucket and this is what I saw. Now, that I am back inside there is bright and shining sunshine!! I loved this picture though. I left most of these pictures rather large so that you can click on them to see them better.
It is SO HARD to belive that it is October the 18th and we have not had a frost yet. I have never (in my memory anyway) been able to go out and pick peppers in October. Here is what I got out of the garden yesterday. There are a few cherry tomatoes in the basket too.
This tree is out back behind my chicken coop. I don't ever remember it being this red. Most of the other trees seem to be under stress and not showing as much color. Whatever kind of tree this is, it must like drought and warmer conditions.
Here is some leaves changing on one of the oaks. I need to review my oaks again so I know which one is which. I want to say this is a red oak, but I won't swear to it.
Here is another little oak. This may be a white oak, but again, your guess is as good as mine right now. I used to know all these trees. I really do love trees.
Here is a little sassafrass tree with its mitten leaves. I really like the bigger version of this picture. I am not sure why, but it really turned out good. Maybe it is the contrast of the bark against the shiny smooth leaves.

2 comments:

LadySnow said...

It is truly amazing that people can still get goodies from their gardens this time of year in Ohio. Go figure....

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

It has been a strange fall here too. I am still picking tomatoes too....if I can get at them with all the mud.