Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cheese Glorious Cheese

I have been making cheese about twice a week. Sometimes it averages out to 3 times for 2 weeks. It has come in handy. We have not bought cheese in quite some time. I have priced what my cheese would cost us if we had to buy it. It is from a grass fed Jersey cow and is raw milk cheese. Let's just say we are blessed. I have given some of it away as gifts. We have taken it with us to pot blessing meals as well. Here is a picture of my "cheese cave". The white bucket at the top is a heavy brine that I brine some of the cheese in. The other is yogurt and eggs. :)

I have 2 rounds sitting on my counter. They have sat until they have a nice rind on them. I am now applying the first coat of wax to them. This is Monterey Jack. It sort of looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. :)

This is a round of Colby.

I make Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Feta, Mozzarella, and Ricotta. I just found a recipe for something that is supposed to be like Provolone. I am anxious to try it.

I went to visit my Dad on Sunday. My brother and his family were there. I had taken my Dad a half of a round of cheese. My 12 year old nephew asked me if I had made that cheese. I told him yes. Then he must have asked me about 4 times if I would teach him how to make cheese. I told him I would love to. So tomorrow, he and his sister are coming to make cheese with me. :) I will take pictures.

5 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

That's awesome! How nice you're sharing cheese making with your nephew and neice!

Sharon said...

That is so nice that your nephew is interested in cheese-making. You are certainly blessed!

Teresa said...

You're making me hungry! Btw, how are your dad and brothers doing now?
best wishes, t.

Nancy said...

Wow! What a blessing! I am impressed and encouraged to try it!

Jenna said...

I REALLY need to learn how to make cheese like that!! We have a Jersey as well and milk all over the place...

Just maybe, I can work it into my school schedule?!:)