Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spring is Coming to the Farm

Springtime is often my favorite time of year in farm living. As far as seasons go, my favorite is Autumn, but Spring on the farm is full of new life. All 3 of our cows are pregnant, or at least we hope they are... Lord willing. The sheep are all pregnant as well. They will need to be sheared soon. We keep getting some really cold snaps though. It got down to 18 degrees last night. We woke up yesterday with snow on the ground. It soon melted off, but it snowed on and off all day. There is another big snow with a Canadian Clipper that is supposed to arrive this weekend. :) Old man winter is really feeling his oats this year. However, it is still time to try and get the sheep sheared. The family who does it, always takes the weather into consideration. We took the little wether (Psalty) to the butcher. This weekend, we are taking the ram to the auction and some of the ewes will be going to new homes as well. I am not totally sure yet, just how many I am going to get rid of. I am praying and asking the Lord to help me get rid of all I need to. If it were totally up to me, I would keep them all. :)

We went out of town a couple of weekends ago. We went and looked at an area, we are thinking of moving to. One family in that area had mules. I LOVE mules. My Grandpa had mules and his boys (my Uncles) love mules. I have mule pictures on my wall. I would love to have a large set of mules one day, but I don't think that will happen, because I really don't have a need for them. So, I admire other people's mules. :)

Here are some pictures of the pair of mules I got to see.




They also had a large pair of work horses. They were very friendly too.

They were also very gentle.

We have some new items in the store. Come and check it out.

No comments: