Friday, February 27, 2009

Apple Dump Cake

I gave a whole new meaning to the recipe, "Apple Dump Cake." My husband has been wanting me to make this cake for a long time. It is baked in a tube pan. Tonight, Josh & Britt are coming over for dinner and then we are having company for dessert. I decided that I would make the cake. It has to bake 1 1/2 hours. It is supposed to be delicious (it is by the way).

I made the cake and put it in the oven. It came out beautiful. I got the outer part of the pan off without any trouble. I ran a knife around the bottom of the cake and thought maybe I would turn it over onto a plate upside down and then onto another plate right side up. That was wisdom speaking. I have been doing dishes all day it seems (I have been cooking and baking) and I got the bright idea of just letting the cake rest upside down on my hand covered in a big oven mitt. Then I would put the plate on the bottom and flip it over, thus saving one dish to wash.

Let's just say that this is not a cake to balance on a mitt. :) It fell apart all over the counter. :( I picked up the pieces and put them on a plate. You can see it in all its beauty below. I will put some in a bowl for each person and top with ice cream or something and call it apple dump cake. :) When life hands you lemons... listen to wisdom.

Fresh Apple Cake

Peel, core and chop 5 to 7 apples. I used 6 Gold Rush.
Mix together 5 Tbs. of organic cane crystals (sugar) with 1 Tbs. of cinnamon
Put the chopped apples in a bowl and coat with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

2 3/4 Cups Freshly ground flour (I used red wheat)
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup coconut oil (or other mild unrefined oil)
1 1/2 cups organic cane crystals (sugar)
1/3 cup organic orange juice
1 Tbs. organic vanilla
4 farm fresh eggs

Mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) and set aside. In another bowl mix together the coconut oil, OJ, cane crystals, vanilla and eggs. Then add this to the dry ingredients and mix together.

Put one half of this mixture into the bottom of a greased tube pan. Spread it around. Put 1/2 of the apples on top of this and spread them around. Then put the rest of the batter and again top with the rest of the apples.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. You can insert a knife to test for doneness.

1 comment:

The Dearborns said...

That looks really, really good! I wish I was your company for dessert!