Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Laboratory

My kitchen has things growing in it. :) Sounds gross.. huh. Well, some of it looks gross too. My dear sweet friend in Kentucky (Hi Wina!!) sent me a kombucha mushroom. It is sitting on my counter doing its thing. My husband looked at it and was totally grossed out. Here is a picture of the baby mushroom in the tea. We have heard how good this is for you and have wanted to try it. We will let you know how it does.


I also made a sourdough starter. It is in the crock on the left. You have to feed it daily. The bread next to it is a sourdough loaf. We let it rise for 5 hours and then it bakes for an hour. It is good, but not like the sourdough we buy (white bread). My friend Ginny told me that it is the rye we are tasting. They are both up on top of the warming oven of the stove...down at the cooler end.

These are raspberry muffins that I made. My husband loves them. They are really good. He has been wanting some and my dear sweet friend in Kentucky (yup - Wina) gave me some wonderful organic raspberries. They are supposed to have a crumb topping, but they are so good without it, that I leave it off. I will post the recipe below. It was actually supposed to be blueberry muffins, but I don't have blueberries and I do have raspberries.


Caitlyn's To-Die-For Blueberry Muffins
(with my changes)

These muffins are AMAZING!

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups freshly ground flour
3/4 cup organic cane crystals
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil or mild unrefined oil
1 farm fresh egg
1/3 cup raw milk
1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)

These next ingredients are for the crumb topping I left off.
1/2 cup
organic cane crystals
1/3 cup freshly ground flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with
muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder.
Place oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough
milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in berries.
Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping:
1.) Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before
baking.
2.) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the muffin recipe. They look great! I know you are expecting some calves soon so I wanted to share with you that I just came in after watching one of our Jerseys calve. It never ceases to be amazing! So incredible. God is very very good!

Dandelionmom said...

We make Kombucha too!! It is yummy-but I do admit it is also scary-kinda creepy alien while it grows and then FIZZY!

The Dearborns said...

Ummm, yeah that mushroom thing looks pretty gross. :-/ It really reminds me of this stuff in Okinawa called "Habu saki" Not sure on the spelling. Anyway it is some sort of drink (alcoholic) where they take a poisonous habu snake and put it in a jar full of saki. I guess the poison from the snake adds to the "high." Great, huh? It is VERY scary looking when you see the jars!! At least the mushroom isn't scary, but it looks just as gross! :)