Monday, September 01, 2008

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow!!

I am so grateful for the produce that we have been able to bring in out of the garden. We eat like kings much of the time. Last night we picked more tomatoes, green beans, cabbage, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Today, we started canning. We bought some pickling cucumbers since our vines died. I cut them all up today and made dill pickles and bread & butter pickles. The last batch of pickles is in the canner as I type.

Me dear sweet husband picked the grapes for me today. We got some the first year we lived on this farm, but animals have gotten them every year since then. They are ripe early this year, and we got about 1/2 bushel, so we are thankful for that much. It gave me 4.75 quarts of good grape juice. It smelled so good when they were steaming.

The peaches are not the prettiest things you ever saw, but once you cut the skin off, they are wonderful tasting. These are totally organic since we don't spray. I am not sure what I will do with them. I would love to make some peach pie filling.

I started snapping and stringing the beans. I will can them tomorrow. I don't have a lot of tomatoes, but will probably do up what I do have. I also have beets to dig at some point. I figure they are better off in the ground then sitting in here getting yucky. I will also probably start on the peaches.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, that looks good! You got a lot of peaches. :-D

Barb J. said...

Looks great! I haven't been able to do as much canning this year as I had hoped, but I did get to freeze some stuff. Look like you have been and will continue to be very busy!

Anonymous said...

I love homemade grape juice! My mom and grandma used to make it all the time! Bravo!

Pearl said...

Wow that all looks yummy. A lot of hard work but worth it! Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Nothing like home grown veggies and fruits year round!