Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Co-ops

I had a couple of people make a comment on my pantry blog wanting to know about co-ops in their area. I put out a call for help. So far, this is what I have been told.

For Alabama: Here is what someone wrote - "I live in northern Alabama (Madison County area) and have two resources - one is through Bread Beckers (I notified them and they sent me the number and e-mail of their contact here) and the other group orders through Wheat Montana. Both of them order approximately 2 - 3 times per year, not monthly. There are a few health food stores in the area, but they didn't sell wheat in bulk, which is what I was interested in at the time. I do know the
Kroger's in the area carry quite a large stock of "natural" and organic products."


Ginny wrote: http://www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com has information on their co-ops. I know there are several in Huntsville. You can look up your area of the country on their site.

I know that when I lived in Florida, I would order from Something Better also. If you get a large enough order they will send it freight which is cheaper than UPS.

Karen wrote: I don't have any help except my co-op ships there (www.morningsidefarm.com) Mary might help, but I don't remember her addy right now but I know her web site is www.crookedpinespublishing.com . Also Angelia may know at http://pgburrell.home.mindspring.com/


For Arkansas I received this - "I am Tongua (pronounced "Tonja") from Little Rock, Arkansas. I used to be in a co-op that ordered from Ozark Cooperative Warehouse in Fayetteville, but that company went out of business last year. I do have a few organic egg and vegetable connections here with local farmers."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com

has information on their co-ops. I know there are several in Huntsville. You can look up your area of the country on their site.