Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Yogurt - It Does a Body Good!!

When you try to do things naturally, you need to do a lot of research. We usually do ours by the seat of our pants. Oh look... there's a fire!!!... It is time to research how to naturally deal with it. :) I am sure at each of your homes, you have done all the research before the crisis arrives.

We have 2 dogs. Our older dog got pyrometra. It is an infection in her female parts. We are told it is because she is older and not spayed. I am sure that added to it, but spaying your animal can bring about its own issues. Anyway, we were told she needed to be spayed, but in a more major way than normal and the costs were well above what we are comfortable spending. We got her some antibiotics and they did help some. We started giving her some yogurt each day along with a Berry Herbal Brew that I make. We really noticed some improvement in her. We will continue to do this on a daily basis.

I had some plain yogurt in my fridge. I bought it as a starter to make some. Making yogurt in your home is so easy and much more cost effective. I am going to make mine raw milk yogurt, but you can use store bought milk. The only milk that does not do well is the ultra pasteurized milk they sell in the stores. If you are just starting out, you may want to use whole milk. I will tell you 2 ways to make yogurt at home.


1st way - Raw Milk Yogurt
I prefer this way so that I do not kill all the enzymes in my milk.
Take 1/2 gallon of raw milk and heat it up to 110°. Stir in 1/2 to 1 cup of plain yogurt as a starter. Pour into a warm jar and cover. Wrap in a towel or I will put mine on the warm end of my cookstove. Let sit from 8 to 12 hours. You may want to taste at 8 hours as it does sour a bit more as time goes on. This yogurt will not be as thick as store bought yogurt. If you like a thicker yogurt you can drain it. I use a Yogurt Cheese Maker to drain mine, but you can use cheesecloth or even a piece of sheer curtain over a bowl. You can then sweeten your yogurt at this point. I use real maple syrup to sweeten mine. You can also add fruit to it. Remember to take some out before you add anything to be your starter for the next batch.

2nd way - Crock Pot Yogurt

Pour ½ gallon of milk into your crockpot and turn it on low. Let it go for 2 ½ hours. Turn off the crockpot and let it sit with the lid on for 3 hours. Then stir in ½ to 1 cup of yogurt with live cultures for your starter and mix well with a whisk. Cover the entire crock pot with a thick towel and let sit for 12 hours. You can then add sweeteners or vanilla or fruits. Remember to save enough for your starter for next time before you add anything. If it is too thin, you can drain it a bit and get a thicker yogurt. You can use the liquid that drains off in other things to get the nutritional value from it as well. Your pets will enjoy it as well.

No comments: