Friday, April 30, 2010

A Little Whine About Cheese - No Whey!!!

OK, so the title was not very punny. :) I am truly not whining either. I enjoy cheesemaking. It is a HUGE part of my life right now. I currently have a fresh cheddar drying on my counter and a round of Monterey Jack with its first half coating of wax.

I have this pot on my stove that has almost 4 gallons of milk in it. It is being turned into ricotta and soft cheese spread.

This pot is also on my stove. It has 4 gallons of milk in it. It is being turned into Colby cheese.

And here is the milk fridge. I still have 5 gallons in there, with 2.5 more coming this evening. :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

That is amazing! Dh and I are looking into getting some land and owning a milk cow in the next two years. With 6 kids (and hopefully more to come) I think it would be a great asset. I love reading about making cheese. I have tried my hand at yogurt and cream cheese and I think it is so much better than what we buy in the store.

Sharri said...

Wow, I'm really impressed with your cheesemaking ability!
BUT, I need to come and sample first before I give it a seal of approval! LOL