Saturday, January 27, 2007

What Do Others Think Of You?

I had a conversation with my husband and son about things that I say. I should say, they were having a conversation with me. =) I was tending to use words like never, always, every time, etc. You ALWAYS leave your shoes laying there. You NEVER shut the door all the way. EVERY TIME you walk through here you leave a trail of things you layed down. Even though I did not mean them to be, those were lies. I was trying to make my point. Do you know anyone who over exaggerates a lot of what they say? When someone stopped in front of them 3 car lengths up, you hear how they had to slam on their brakes and narrowly missed the car that was inches away from them. I know some of these people. I take what they say with a grain of salt because of it. If they tell me they have a horrible gash on their leg, I assume they have a normal scrape, etc. As I thought about the conversation with my men, I wondered what people thought of me with my always, never, etc.

Why do we try to sensationalize things? Is it for attention? It is because of the way we grew up and our families did that? It is to make our point of how put out we are by other's behavior? One day we are going to give an account for EVERY idle word out of our mouths.

Mt 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

OUCH!!! Let us be careful what we say and how we say it. What do others think of you and what you say? Do you portray a very honest truthful speaking Christian whose words can be trusted? Oh Lord, guard my lips and tongue.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Great post. I must admit that I too have a tendency to exagerrate with those same expressions. I'm sure I'll remember this post the next time I do.

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

Great website. I'm a country wannabe.
Oh how true about our words! We were in a Cracker Barrel recently and I saw a decorative pillow with "A Closed Mouth Gathers No Feet" embroidered on it. I was tempted to buy it as a reminder.
Anna

Marci said...

Kristi, sometimes just having heard something, is a big help to realize when you are doing something or when you are about to. I know it has helped me.

Anna, that is a great pillow!!