Friday, June 24, 2011

The First George of the Year!

If you have read my blog for any length of time you will know that I love to get caterpillars and watch them until they turn into butterflies. I name all the caterpillars George. That makes it easy to remember. The Wonderful Neighbor girl brought me a wee George last night. Can you see him on the leaf?
This picture is to give you some perspective on how tiny he is right now.

This is the first one of this year. I will post pictures to show you how quickly they grow. This is a fun and easy thing you can do with your children. This George was on a milkweed plant. He will turn into a Monarch Butterfly. We also get fennel Georges off of our fennel plants. I believe they turn into a Black Swallowtail Butterfly. You just put some leaves in a jar with the caterpillar. Poke some holes in the lid and watch and wait.

No comments: