Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Oven Fried Taters

I have always wanted to make good home-made fries. I have had no luck until this evening. You will love these.
I used 5 Idaho taters, left the peels on and used a french fry cutter
5 Tblsp. Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Put your oven rack as close to the heat source as you can. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
Put the potatoes in a bowl and cover with hot tap water and soak for 10 mins. This is part of what really makes them work, so don't skip it.
Coat a cookie sheet with 4 of the 5 Tblsp. of olive oil
Use about a tsp. or less of salt sprinkled evenly over the oil and about 1/2 tsp. of pepper done the same way.
Drain the potatoes and pat them dry. Put them back in the bowl after you rinse it and dry it. Put the other Tblsp. of olive oil in and coat the potatoes.
Then spread them in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Cover tightly with foil and put in oven for 5 mins. Take the foil off and then cook them for another 15 mins. Pull them out and flip them over the best you can. Put them back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes. When you pull them out put them on a paper towel lined counter or pan. I used a non-fuzzy towel to put them on. You can add more salt and pepper if you want, but I don't think it needs them. They were WONDERFUL. Even Joshua, my son said they were the best fries he has eaten.

1 comment:

Clara....in TN said...

quipigcNow that makes me want some "taters". I will try this!!