Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Every Day Life



Not every day is a "Houdini" type of day. Many days are just plain ole days. Today, I got up did my outside chores, have been working around on the inside of the house. I have some laundry to fold which I will do when I get off of here. A friend in Kentucky sent me some cuttings from her forsythia, spirea and this beautiful flowering nettle (not stinging) that I planted today. She even sent me a baggy of rooting hormone to use. So, I put them all in pots and they are on the front porch where I can keep them moist. She said she has huge forsythias all over their property that she planted this way. I watered everything on the porch.

I watered my garden a bit this morning while it was still early. There has been lots of rain in the area, but it keeps missing us. I planted 2 bird house gourd seeds at the bottom of each of the four legs of one of my garden teepees. Only 2 sprouted and they are on the same leg. My friend told me that they will still probably take over the whole teepee. My Luffa gourd seeds sprouted really well. I may end up having to thin them a bit. I have little pickles that are 2 to 3 inches long. =) I am still fighting powdery mildew on my zucchini. I have not given up the fight though.

I have about 14 pounds of Vidalia onions that I want to slice and put on my dehydrator. I also need to pick some of my lemon balm, chives and fennel and begin drying them. I may hang them up from a beam in my house, rather than use the dehydrator. I could also use my oven as I have a pilot light. Speaking of oven, I need to make some yogurt tonight. I put it in the oven overnight and it works like a charm.

I have this one bird that keeps singing to me. I wish there was a way to put his song on here so you could help me identify him. I sing his tune back to him and then he sings it to me.

While like Pat says, you wonder who if anyone is actually reading your posts. Very few people leave a comment, so you have to wonder. Then someone will email me and tell me about something they read on this blog. =)

Well, I need to get back to work. This break is over!!! By the way, the first picture above is taken from our hay field. The neighbor's own an ultralight aircraft. They are landing in this picture. The other picture is jut a picture of our hay field/pasture.

4 comments:

Saska said...

Isn't farm life wonderful! Glad I found you.
Your bird might be a mockingbird. We have one who will say "herekittykitty" when I'm out calling the cats in to feed.

Kelli said...

I'm reading! I really enjoy your posts and your pictures. Your place is just beautiful!
Kelli

Clara....in TN said...

I'm reading too!!!! I love your Blog, Marci. You are a blessing to me.

Tina Leigh said...

Have I told you how much I love where you live?!! Oh that is the prettiest green field! You will have to take pictures when you get ready to bail! I remember when I was a kid my neighbor (like a brother) would say "Look at the bay hailer!"