Thursday, April 03, 2008

What is Merely a Tradition?

I was reading my Bible this morning and I saw several things that spoke to me. I want to share some things that God is teaching me. I read these verses this morning...

Mark 7:7-8 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away. Their worship is a farce, for they replace God's commands with their own man-made teachings.' For you ignore God's specific laws and substitute your own traditions."

This was directed at the Pharisees. They were so concerned with outward things and traditions, that they forgot what it was really about. They stunk with their pride over things that were very easy for them to do, yet their sins were glaringly there for all to see. Many of us today still have this problem. What in my life is a tradition... something I do because I was raised that way, or my fellowship does it that way or I thought it appeared holy when someone else did it? Did I have pride in what I wore, or what I said, or how many scriptures I had posted all over? These would all be things that would be easy for me to do. I could feel pride in them. Yet, they were making me a whitewashed tomb full of dead bones. I can feel pride over even dumb things. I can say all the books of the Bible and have even done it in one breath before. Are you impressed? Oh brother... I can be a real fruitcake can't I? Many times I have been so full of myself that there would be no way anyone could see the Lord, or at least see Him through me. Does God care if I only wear certain clothes, or eat certain foods and not others, or how I wear my hair, or if I know all the books of the Bible and can say them in one breath? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is looking at my heart. What does He see when those things are what is important to me? PRIDE and that is a sin. Further down in that chapter of Mark, Jesus says these words...

Mark 7:20-23 And then he added, "It is the thought-life that defiles you. For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, eagerness for lustful pleasure, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you and make you unacceptable to God."

Look at that last line... My pride defiles me and makes me unacceptable to God. Oh, I do not want that. I want to hear "Well done thou good and faithful servant!" I am praying that God will help me to respond to what He convicts ME of. I don't need to state these convictions with pride. I need to walk them out in humility. It is not my job to be the Holy Spirit to anyone else. God may not have them on the same path that I am. Let me be found faithful to what He has called me to do! Pray for me!!

2 comments:

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I think it is a daily process....trying to carry on what He is expecting of us. We all get lost along the way. The important thing is that we realize it and change and carry on.

LadySnow said...

Thank you for sharing with us Marci.