Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's TURKEY DAY!!!!

Today is the day the turkeys go from this....


to this!!
Then on Thanksgiving Day to this!!!

Someone asked us about brining.

Brine for Turkey

The basic recipe for a brine for poultry is one cup of salt per gallon of water. We use the brine below for our turkeys and love it.

1 gallon water

1 cup sea salt

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

3 Tbsp. sucanat or brown sugar

1 Tbsp. pickling spices

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. allspice

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. tarragon

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the water. Add the other ingredients and put the turkey in to soak for at least 4 hours or even up to overnight. We use the amounts of ingredients above, but use more water. We make sure the bird is covered in water.




2 comments:

regina said...

ok Marci, I've heard of people that do this but I have a few questions. First, do you put it in the fridge to soak and second, what do you do after the soaking time? Sorry, but I really don't know the answer these questions.
Regina

Tracy said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I mentioned it to my son (that I wanted to try brining this year) and he was dubious (I'm not the best cook in the world). Don't know if I will get enough time now to do all of this, but might give it a go.

I second the additional questions posed by regina above.