Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Catch Up Post

There has been a lot going on around here.  I get busy and forget to update on here.  I am sorry I missed the Count Your Blessings Monday this week.  I have so much to be thankful for so I have no good reason to not post it.   

Our older Jersey cow, Buttercup, was due to calve this past Friday.  She has not had a calf and we can't really tell if she is pregnant or not.  She was leaking milk from one teat earlier last week.  I talked to a friend yesterday that has a herd of Jersey cows.  She told us to go and try to milk on one teat to see if she has milk.  Since she has been dry since before Christmas, if she has milk it is probable that she is pregnant.  So, we did just that last night and she has milk for sure.  We are going to try and bump the calf (if she has one) tonight.  I want her to calve so badly, but I hate getting my hopes up.  

The garden is still giving us goodies.  We have not been very faithful in our gardening this year.  

Here are some pictures from the last week or so.  
This is Terra.  The pasture has been wonderful this year.  We are so thankful for that.     
I was headed out the door and saw this.  I just had to take a picture.  I am not sure why, but I love it.  :)
How now ROUND cow.  This cow was supposed to calve on Thursday, but she is not pregnant.  All she eats is grass, but it sure looks like she needs to lose weight. 
This is Honey.  She is doing well.  She comes to us, but still needs to be enticed with alfalfa pellets to get her to walk to the stanchion for milking. 
We have had some beautiful sunflowers this year.

The Fennel went wild this year. 
This is a Valerian plant.  It is huge. 
Skye is still a good pup.  She is learning and we are still trying to overcome some issues with her. 
There are bugs all over the thistle plants.
The next 2 pictures are some scenery we saw on Saturday on our way to get feed.

I updated my bread page and put on the recipe for this artisan bread. It is the last recipe on the page at this point.

No comments: